May 08, 2011

Outsourced

I.
                After watching the film "Promises" last week, I am very curious as to how the children are doing now. What has happened to them after the updates in 2004? After much research, the answers have unfortunately not been found. 
               I have searched and searched and have been unable to find an update on the status of the children past the update that was done in 2004. This leads me to believe that the film makers may have been denied filming access or the children simply did not want to participate any more as they grew older. As seen in the other updates in the film, the children became less and less willing to meet with one another, and this may be why they did not do an update.
 
II.
 
                Due to AP Testing and the SCA Teacher Appreciation Breakfast, I was only able to be in Ethic’s class for one day! On that Thursday that I was in class though, we watched and discussed the documentary Outsourced. All in all, it was a very interesting and informative day of class!



                Outsourced  is an episode of a television show called 30 Days, where people are forced to live in environments for thirty days that are completely opposite from what they are accustomed to. In Outsourced, a former employee of an outsourced company lives in India with a family that does the same job as he used to. It was very interesting to see the difference in the qualities of life between the Indian and American people, even the difference between different Indian people! I had seen pictures before about the poverty in India, but I never knew that people who actually had jobs and families lived in the slums! I always thought it was the unemployed that lived there! It was a truly eye-opening experience to me as well as the people involved with the documentary. 
                Since I wasn’t there on Friday, I was not able to discuss the documentary that in depth. I thought I would take the time now to state my opinion on outsourcing jobs.  Before watching this documentary, I was totally against it. I thought that it was extremely wrong to give jobs away to people who are overseas. I didn’t think that it was right for people to be robbed of their jobs, nor did I think that the people overseas deserved the jobs. After watching the documentary though, I partially changed my mind. After seeing the poverty and despair in other countries, I do feel that others deserve the outsourced jobs. One job in the US would be the equivalent of giving fifteen other people jobs in India. I do, however, feel that it is wrong to lay off American workers, so now I feel for both sides of the situation. I am kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place because I don’t know which side I feel for more. 

III.

 
                After watching Outsourced, I am very interested in the financial state of India. How many people are unemployed? How many people live in poverty? 

Please stay tuned for the answer next week.  

Sources

Morgan spurlock’s “30 days”. (2008, June 14). Retrieved from http://beastandbean.wordpress.com/2008/06/14/morgan-spurlocks-30-days/ 

Outsourced. (2011, May 8). Retrieved from http://certifiedrandom.com/sites/certifiedrandom.com/files/u1/0806outsourced.jpg 

Promises. (2011, May 8). Retrieved from http://www.pbs.org/pov/promises/  

The promises film project. (2011, May 8). Retrieved from http://www.promisesproject.org/index.html 

Poverty reduction. (2011, May 8). Retrieved from http://www.agricultureinformation.com/mag/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/poverty-reduction4.jpg  

No comments:

Post a Comment